Tuesday

November 6: top five purchases of my life



I probably should not have gotten out of bed this morning. But, I did. Now I'm back in my bed and I don't intend to get out again until tomorrow sometime. Thus, I was extremely lacking in artistry or vigor today. So, from the comfort of my bedroom, I decided to showcase some of the best purchases I have ever made in my entire life.

In no particular order:
  • red blanket/sarong/skirt/beach towel/tv cover/table cloth -- Could I have known when I purchased this from the traveling man from West Virginia selling mittens and ponchos in the student center, that this piece of fabric would be so multi-functional and travel with me all over the country and world in my purse? I could not. (I believe it was $8.00, the WestVirginia salesman comes back once a semester if you're interested)
  • collapsable, retractable, rolling crate -- ok. the students can attest to this one....These babies (I have two) can roll around eight gallons of laundry detergent a piece like they're full of feathers. I have decided that part of my job description is "lugging around junk" --constantly....reference books, piles of copies, garbage bags full of stuffed animals. My apartment, my car, my office -- these are merely holding bays for the said junk that I transport from here to there. Now instead of dislocating discs in my back, I can simply roll these things across campus. It's a beautiful thing. If you are a staffworker and don't have one, you should really consider it. ($21 plus tax at Staples)
  • the steamer -- it's collapsable too for that matter, and to be honest I didn't actually buy this one myself, but I figure since I've bought a bunch of them as gifts that it counts. You can make the most healthy, spectacular meal of steamed salmon and brocolli in approximately six minutes. Chances are, if you were married between the years 1972 and 1978, you probably got one for your wedding. It's probably still in the back of your cupboards and you don't even know it. Give it a second chance. ($4.99 at your favorite kitchen supply store)
  • ticket over the Atlantic - There is no doubt in my mind that my little European escapade was one of the best decisions I ever made. I had spent so many years couped up in a classroom learning about all of these places in Europe. It meant so much to get to see those places with my own eyes, to be in the places where Roman Christians lived and were persecuted, to see if I could find my way without knowing Swiss-German up to the little mountain town where my ancestors came from, to make friends with my crazy Irish taxi-driver, and to see some old friends in new locations. Though I probably could have paid off a few months worth of principal on my student loans, that ticket was infinately more valuable. ($439.61)
  • my green hooded sweatshirt - I got this little-boy hoodie at the goodwill in 10th grade, which means it's in its ninth year in my closet (and who knows how many years in someone else's). It has never taken a hiatus from my wardrobe and has a long history of dodgeball games, all-nighters, and camping trips. I don't know if I'll ever be able to say goodbye. I might have to make a pillow out of it or something. ($2, then....inflation would set you back another dollar these days)
Jerry Seinfeld's I'm Telling You for the Last Time, also holds a high place, as does my CD player from 7th grade that is still kickin' it in my car (it was not available for photograph).....but I guess I did title this one "top five...." and not "top ten...." so I'm going to stop for now. GOODNIGHT.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

a top seven list would be entirely in order (though i could understand the cd player having its reasons for being unavailable). looking forward to seeing you tomorrow..hope you feel better.

Anonymous said...

Quite possibly the most ambitious should-be-in-bed post and picture ever...
-Zack

Anonymous said...

It makes me think I could be a Home Shopping Club Lady again (I mean, with conviction -- was there ever really any question about my home shopping club lady abilities :)