Saturday

October 13: this again



Hispanic Heritage Month, Librarian Appreciation Month, National Nutrition Month,...these I can get behind....but Brake 4 Kids month?! Seriously? Should that really be a special month? Well it is in Lakewood, Ohio -- every October. I have two thoughts about this (I don't know what has gotten in to me today, I'm feeling sort of wound up and cranky -- my apologies :):

1. Shouldn't we be braking for kids all year round? The color of the sign always changes, but that scary stick kid and the use of the numeral 4 never changes. Perhaps they should keep the signs up all year but rotate the color choice so that we don't become blind to them.

and

2. The terminology "Brake 4...." conjours up images of bumper stickers saying "I break for dogs/cats/squirrels/what have you." It just seems like "Drive slow for kids..." or something would be a little less crass.

Anyways, this has been bothering me for about five years and now I feel a lot better that you all know about it. Thanks.

(To my Wooster friends....notice the tree-lawn)

No comments: