Friday

December 7: While I live and breath!



I do believe that is one Alphine J. you see there on the left side, a most intruiguing professor of mine who I lost track of but found tonight! He always told us our final exam questions the first day of class. My favorite remains, "Why, the city?" I still don't know exactly what he was going for there, but I can remember the question still. Our notes from that class were great too...they were so full of interesting "facts" and "historical drawings" that I would give them out as gifts to my friends after the class, or actually sometimes while I was still in the class. I will never forget those courses. So, what is going on here? Well, as our InterVarsity Christmas Caroling troupe of thirty people romped around the neighborhood, we were spontaneously invited inside a suit and tie affair for the 80th birthday of the young woman you see in the red dress. Very surreal. We sang 'Angels we have heard on high', 'Silent Night' (her favorite apparently), and of course we threw in a 'Happy Birthday' for free as well. This was MUCH better than our outing last year, during which we had someone close the door in our faces with gusto as we stumbled through "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" That was a real low point in our Christmas Caroling history. But as you can see here, we've peaked. The charming man in the rocking chair was really enjoying all of this. We ended with great food and games at the Hampton's house...the last of a long-standing tradition. Good party!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie, the honoree is Annetta Jefferson, a former prof in the theater department (which is why Ashley Valentine is there as well and what would bring AJ back from his new post. I think it is David Molstad sitting next to Annetta. Was Vivian Holliday there as well? I think she drives Annetta everywhere. P.S. 182 letters ready to go out tomorrow morning and many dozens more that need something yet ....

Anonymous said...

NO WAY!!!!! i appreciate that mrs. hampton has the lowdown...though i was wondering if the elderly woman was the friend alphine talked about..well, i'll be.

p.s. i got a job today at a bagel/deli place downtown. i am not quite sure if it will pay my bills, but i'm grateful. and God is in charge of the bill-paying department. :-)

Anonymous said...

Make that Ainsley Valentine. You might be interested to know that Dr. Jefferson left Wooster two years ago to take a post at a college in VA so that he could be much closer to his aging parents for whom he is the primary, if not only??, caregiver.

Anonymous said...

Wow. You have got the SCOOP. Thanks for the update :)

Bek said...

oh how fun! i want to go christmas caroling this year!! one year, i had a christmas caroling birthday party (my bday is the 21st)......happy that someone finally appreciated the efforts! :)

Anonymous said...

Even better, Annie. I learned today that the honoree at the party thinks that you carolers came expressly FOR her. She was thrilled!! I think God arranged that don't you--you DID come expressly for her in his good plans.

Anonymous said...

this picture may win photo of the month purely for the amazing backstory.