Thursday

June 18: orni-appreciation



I have not liked birds for some time now. As I may have mentioned before, exactly two years ago I had a bad incident with a blue jay and a psychotic baby bird within the same week and it was just too much. Let's be honest, the fact that they've got an extra dimension on us and can swoop down from on high with that pointy appendage on their face has not helped me to conquer my paranoia. HOWEVER, this has been a good week with the birds and I am hopeful about the future of my orni-appreciation. We had the hummingbird visit, and then today there was this guy. He just sat looking in my living room window (albeit a little wierd, but I accepted it as a friendly gesture) for a whole minute before I decided to see how close he would let me get. I got my camera, and then there was a series of about seven pictures before this as I inched towards the window. He was remarkably peaceful with me standing right there, especially since the door was open and I know he could hear the camera beeping. He stayed for approximately 4 minutes just sitting and looking around. How nice.

1 comment:

Juliann Fontana said...

i think i saw him flying into a gap in the roof above one of your windows. i think "orni-appreciation" might make a great title for this one.

it was great to see you this week. i hope you are having a brilliant summer solstice. happy travels to pa. :-)