Thursday

April 30: Chinese Chicken



Just what you want to recieve as you set out with a backpack on a train across Asia...You vacuum squish all your clothes down into little bags, you pour all your shampoo into tiny little bottles, you find the shoes made out of the lightest materials on earth...and THEN on day 2 of your journey you meet some generous soul who wants to express their eternal friendship to you by handing you a beautifully wrapped ceramic plop of a chicken with a big head. This seems to be my lot in traveling! Today I unexpectedly and delightfully reminisced about my trip to China a few years ago. I got to reunite over the phone with my dear friend Casey who lives way far away in the land of San Diego. He was a large contributer to my sanity that summer (Thank you Casey!) So, yeah, this sweet woman who worked at the hotel we were staying at in Beijing gave me this chicken and I felt compelled to keep it...wouldn't you know, it made it safely all the way to our destination and then someone knocked it off the table by accident and its head fell off. By that time were all sort of endeared towards its bulbous, feathery strike-a-pose self that I again felt compelled to bring it back to the U.S. And here it is in all its glory for you to enjoy today. Hope you're enjoying this beautiful weather!

No comments: